Super JXThree years ago, I decided to upgrade my JX10, the idea being to add PWM. This turned into a considerable hobby project... the sound board code had to be modified, as well as the assigner code. While the former is pretty well written, the assigner code on the JX10 and the MKS70 is not particularly pretty. It is actually impossible to upgrade, so I started to rewrite it from scratch. Today, I am proud to announce the availability of this rewritten firmware, which should give a entire new experience and life to our loved JX synthesizers.
The project continues with the PWM hardware mods. But unlike the assigner rewrite, adding PWM requires deep surgery to the sound boards, while the assigner rewrite is simply an eprom change.
A new 16-banks M-1024C cartridge has been developed too, and is available (in limited quantity). See this page. A new batch is now available...
For PWM, see PWM kit pictures gallery, kit install manual download section and PWM tone parameters description.
A display replacement is now available, using a Noritake GU280x16 display. Website and youtube video here.
New featuresIn a nutshell, the rewrite provides :
New midi implementation
- each parameter is now OFF/RECV/SEND/ON, allowing fine control of what gets sent and what is filtered.
- sysex support : allow edition of patch, tone A and tone B individually. (No need for M64 cartridge)
- midi cc support : allow edition of all tone parameters (each tone separately or both tones) with midi cc.
- fast bulk dump/load : 4-5 seconds to dump everything. Can dump to/from cartridge and internal memory.
- edition of parameters (patch and tones) sends sysex, so all editions can be sequenced. PG800 is also supported here, so editions made from the PG800 can also be sequenced.
- copy from/to cartridge to create a full backup of the internal memory (all settings are now copied to the cartridge or restored from it)
- any tone parameter (from tone-A, tone-B or both at the same time) can be assigned to C1 or C2
- any arpeggiator parameter can be assigned to C1 or C2
- C1 and C2 can be used, in tone edit mode, to modify upper/lower tone parameter. This allows quick editing of tones for those who don’t have a PG800.
- 8 arpeggiators “patches”
- internal or external synchronization
- supports up, down up/down, played and random notes ordering
- various arpeggio types
- velocity setting (fixed or played)
- note duration (1-15 or legato)
- use lower split point to control which notes are arpeggiated
- Demo on youtube (beta version)
New display options
- control whether updates from sysex, pg800 or controllers are displayed temporarily on-screen
- allows to disable new features for full compatibility with old software (for example, sysex changes made to tone A can be redirected to the currently selected tone, etc...)
- test hardware controllers (voices, A/D controllers (aftertouch, bender, C1/C2), keyboard)
- test memory chips
AvailabilityThe new firmware 3.0x is finally available! It is delivered as a new eprom (replacement for Roland “ROM A”), and is priced $45 or 40EUR. (For JX10 owners, check your sound board roms. If they are older than 2.0, they won’t support 12 semi-tones for the bender. For MKS70, the very old 1.03 is buggy too) PWM kits are also available. Please send your request to